10 Facts about Nickel in Stainless Steel
Two of the most common grades of stainless steel are 316 and 304. Both of these grades contain the element nickel as an essential component of their manufacture, but how much do you know about this crucial metal? Here are 10 facts to get you started...
- The word 'nickel' is a contraction of the German 'Kupfernickel', which means 'copper devil'
- There is an abundance on nickel to be found on Earth, as it is the fifth most common element on our planet. Unfortunately, a huge majority of it is so deep underground that it is impossible or financially-inefficient to get at
- Nickel is a white/silver metal that has a melting point of over 1,400ºC. It is a particularly ductile metal which exhibits strong resistance to corrosion
- At ordinary temperatures, nickel is a magnetic substance
- It is hard to put a number on the amount of products and processes that use nickel but a conservative estimate is 300,000
- The majority of nickel (around 65%) is used to create stainless steel
- Nickel alloys easily with other metals
- Alongside iron and magnesium, nickel is integral to life on earth and is found in many nuts, vegetables and fruits
- A 'nickel' is a colloquial name for a 5-cent coin in the US, though less than a quarter of each coin is made from it due to its high value
- As nickel is essential to making grade 304 and 316 stainless steel, its constantly changing market price has a direct effect on the final cost of stainless steel materials and components
For people not directly involved with the stainless steel industry, the grading system can be confusing. That's why BS Fixings offer expert technical support and an online library of resources to help. Check out the library today and get in touch with us for further advice, information and technical support.
Latest from BS Fixings
You didn’t think we’d stop there with the sales, did you? Here we are, hot on the heels of our Black Friday event, launching our Cyber Monday Spectacular. This mini-sale...Continue reading
We know everyone likes a bargain; we love one ourselves - especially just before Christmas! Well, we think it’s time to let you lot know what we've been working on...Continue reading
Like it or not, the nights are drawing in, the temperature is dropping, and our thoughts turn from eating salads in the garden to chomping chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate...Continue reading
The 12 Days of Christmas at BS Fixings
Right. If you weren't feeling Christmassy already, you better be feeling it now. Our latest promotion will make sure of it. We've barely got Black Friday and Cyber Monday out...Continue reading
From Chicken Feed to Hot Tubs - The different uses for our products
In recent months, we've picked up on some novel uses for our products. Some of our customers use our products for their intended purpose, or the purpose we are aware...Continue reading
How is stainless Steel banding made? Watch our Video to find out
Have you ever wondered how stainless steel banding is made? Well, here at BS Fixings we manufacture our stainless-steel banding at our manufacturing facility in Lancashire. We've made a short...Continue reading