A Guide to Cavity Screw Ties from Bluebird Fixings
In order to offer a wide and varied selection of products to our customers, BS Fixings team up with carefully-chosen partners. One of these partner companies is Bluebird Fixings, a brand established in 1988: since that time, the company has grown and developed, now supplying an eclectic range of quality products to the UK.
The Cavity Screw Tie has for many years been one of Bluebird Fixings' bestselling products: since we introduced these components to our product portfolio, they have become equally popular among our customers. Here are some tips on how to use cavity screw ties effectively, as well as a short step-by-step guide to installation.
- Ascertain the correct length of tie required by referring to Table 5 of Approved
Document A of the Building Regulations
- Allow 2.5 wall ties per square metre of masonry
- Set each tie into both masonry leaves to be joined, at a minimum depth of 50mm
- Prevent water transfer from outer to inner leaf by installing cavity screw ties with a slight outward fall
- Only use compatible plugs and insulation-retaining clips: for your convenience, these are supplied with each purchase from BS Fixings with our compliments
- Ensure all existing walls are free from any defects before cleaning the area thoroughly
- Drill angled pilot holes to a depth of around 45mm
- Into each pilot hole, introduce a plug and a screw tie
- Bend up or down as suitable, bedding ties into mortar joints
- Lay masonry (bricks, block or stone) in the normal manner
Find out more details about cavity screw ties, along with other products from Bluebird Fixings, on the BS Fixings website.
Latest from BS Fixings
Harris, one of the leading decorating tools brands stocked by us here at BS Fixings, has just confirmed it is investing in a consumer advertising campaign this autumn. Whilst the...Continue reading
Which country manufactures the most screws?
In a world dominated by Chinese manufacturing, you might be surprised to learn that Germany is the world's largest exporter of iron fasteners, ahead of China in second position. With...Continue reading
Wire Balloons - Stop Birds nesting in your chimney
Birds nesting in your chimneys can be a real nuisance as well as being the root cause of more serious structural problems. Whilst most modern homes don’t have enough chimney...Continue reading
Gutter Guards; a simple solution to gutter problems
Unless you regularly go up a ladder to look inside your gutters, or you have experienced damp penetrating upstairs rooms, you probably haven’t given much thought to what goes on...Continue reading