Joist Hangers: A Step by Step Guide
As detailed in this week's BS Fixings news article, our brand new range of timber hangers is already a popular attraction for our customers. In this edition of our blog, we'll give you a brief guide on how to install these crucial components correctly, keeping your floors and decks strong and stable as the timber naturally ages, twists, shrinks and dries.
- As with every construction project, good preparation is essential to ensure a professional result: if you fail to prepare then you should prepare to fail! Make sure the area you're working on is clean, sound and tidy and that you're wearing the appropriate safety clothing (a comprehensive collection of PPE can be found on the BS Fixings website).
- Measure carefully and mark where your joist hangers are going to be positioned.
- Using sherardised square twisted nails (also available from BS Fixings), toenail the joists into position along the wall ledger. Be sure that the top of the joist is even with the top of flashing on the wall ledger to ensure an even result. Start the nail before you set the joist in position: hammer in the nail.
- Squeeze the timber hanger tightly around the joist, driving the prongs into the ledger board and temporarily holding the joist firmly in place. The joist should be sat squarely in the hanger: make sure there are no gaps underneath or alongside.
- Secure the timber hangers to the wall ledger using square twist nails. All available holes in joist flanges should be filled with nails to ensure that the hanger will perform to its stated load capacity. Never attempt to modify joist hangers by cutting them to a different size: make sure you buy the right hanger in the first place. If you need advice, feel free to contact a member of the expert technical team here at BS Fixings.
Latest from BS Fixings
We are delighted to announce that we’ve recently added a brand-new product to our ever-expanding banding range, which already seems to be a popular item amongst many! Our latest addition...Continue reading
As you may have already noticed, the temperature is on the rise and the air is starting to feel a touch warmer than usual, which only means one thing…a heatwave...Continue reading
BS Fixings’ Top 3 Banding Tools!
Following our recent news post about our new banding products, we thought it would only make sense to comprise a list of our top banding tools, for all your banding...Continue reading
No Need for Drilling - Silicone Adhesive is The Way Forward
When it comes to household repairs or larger construction projects, we all know that finding the right screws and nails to bond your materials together is a difficult process, especially...Continue reading
Are Birds Being a Nuisance: Keep them Away with Bird Repellent Gel
We are now in the peak of Spring, and Summer is only around the corner which only means one thing, all the birds are out. As much as birds tweeting...Continue reading