Bond-It Bath Mate Silicone: A Step-by-Step Guide
This week's BS Fixings news article introduced a new range of adhesives and sealants from renowned manufacturer Bond-It. In this edition of our blog, we present a step-by-step guide on how to use one of Bond-It's bestselling products: Bath Mate Silicone.
Bond-It Bath Mate Silicone is designed for use in bathrooms, kitchens and anywhere else where a watertight seal is required. With an integral anti-fungal ingredient to deter the growth of mould, Bath Mate Silicone can be easily painted, varnished or stained once dry. Application is fast and easy, as can be seen in our step-by-step guide below.
- Ensure all surfaces to be treated are thoroughly cleaned and dried, as any dust, oil, grease, dirt or other contaminants will hinder proper adhesion. Heavily soiled surfaces should be cleaned with a solvent such as acetone. Bath Mate Silicone does not usually require a primer though it may be necessary to prime concrete surfaces: test a sample area first if unsure. If the gap to be filled is deep, fill it with foam strips that will provide a backing for the sealant formula.
- Cut off the tip of the cartridge, being careful not to damage the screw thread. The nozzle should be cut at a 45° angle, with the opening slightly larger than the gap that is to be sealed. Insert the cartridge into a standard sealant gun.
- Apply the formula evenly, using firm and consistent pressure on the gun's trigger.
- With a slightly-wetted spatula, smooth down the sealant. This must be done within 20 minutes of application.
- Any excess product should then be removed using a damp cloth. Do not saturate the surface as this will result in a delayed curing process.
- Allow to dry, ensuring that ventilation is adequate. Ventilation should be increased in cold, damp conditions. Protect from water for at least 24 hours, when a tough skin has developed. Never subject the treated area to pressurised water.
- Wash tools in clean water.
- Dispose of used containers appropriately, abiding by local regulations.
Bath Mate Silicone is just one of the many products from Bond-It now available from BS Fixings. To discover the full collection, please browse our website and check out this week's BS Fixings news article.
Latest from BS Fixings
What is a Bandfix® Bantam Banding Tool, and How Do You Use It?
Here at BS Fixings, we have been specialists within the stainless steel and fixing industry for over 20 years, and our product range has grown whilst we have grown too...Continue reading
Helical Timber Wall Ties and Support Tool Go Hand in Hand
Our wall tie range has become a very popular product category with our customers. Used to secure walls together in a variety of construction and building projects, we have an...Continue reading
Guard Your Gutters!
It’s that time of the year when trees become orange and brown, and the leaves start to fall. Although the switch in seasons can produce beautiful autumnal colours, there is...Continue reading